Skip to main content

                                                     

               SONG STUDY (18) GUIDE ME O THOU 

                          GREAT JEHOVAH 

Words by William Williams (1745), translated into English by Peter Williams (1771), tune Cwm Rhondda by John Hughes (1907).

William Williams
John Hughes

The hymn was written over 100 years before the Welsh Revival of the early 1900's. The happy combination of the old words with John Hughes' new melody soon made this hymn one of the best known Welsh hymns ever. It still is. The change in the first line from "Jehovah" to "Redeemer" has not been universally accepted.

Guide me, O Thou great Jehovah
Pilgrim through this barren land;
I am weak, but Thou art mighty,
Hold me with Thy powerful hand:
Bread of heaven, Bread of heaven,
Feed me now and evermore,
Feed me now and evermore. 

Open Thou the crystal fountain
Whence the healing stream doth flow;
Let the fiery, cloudy pillar
Lead me all my journey through:
Strong Deliverer, strong Deliverer,
Be Thou still my strength and shield,
Be Thou still my strength and shield.

When I tread the verge of Jordan
Bid my anxious fears subside;
Death of death, and hell’s destruction,
Land me safe on Canaan’s side:
Songs of praises, songs of praises,
I will ever give to Thee,
I will ever give to Thee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm93QW08yZQ  Guide me O thou Great Jehovah to the tune Cwm  Rhondda with soloist Harry Secombe. This begins with Harry singing overlooking the Rhondda valley.

Guide me O thou Great Jehovah, sung in Welsh by a male choir. 


The underlying Biblical background is the journey of the Israelites from Egypt to Canaan, illustrating the journey of a believer through life.
Understanding the words. Jehovah, pilgrim, crystal, pillar, verge, subside.
Verse 1. Why should we think of ourselves as pilgrims? See Hebrews 11:8-13, 1 Peter 1:1, 17 and 2:11. Why “this barren land? See Philippians 3:17-21 and 2 Corinthians 5:1-7.
The bread the writer has in mind is, first of all, the manna God gave the Israelites as food in the desert. However, see Matthew 4:1-4, Luke 22:19 and John 6:30-35.
Verse 2. “Crystal fountain”. See Zechariah 13:1 and Revelation 22:1-2.
The original “fiery, cloudy pillar” guided the Israelites in the desert. What does the songwriter have in mind?
“Strength and shield”. See Psalm 28:7-9. Also consider the armour of God that Paul wrote about in Ephesians 6.
Verse 3. Why does the songwriter think of death as like the Israelites crossing the River Jordan?
The end of death and hell. See Revelation 20:7-15.
Songs of praises. Note that both words are plural. Where in Scripture are we urged to sing such songs? See Psalm 19:11, 47:6 and James 5:13.
                             LINK TO ALL BLOG ENTRIES
                                    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Study 14: Jesus Lover of My Soul

SONG STUDY (14)  JESUS LOVER OF MY SOUL This song was written by  Charles Wesley  in 1740 soon after his conversion. It has been sung to many tunes and in turn has been the inspiration of other great songs. 1 Jesus lover of my soul, Let me to Thy bosom fly, While the nearer waters roll, While the tempest still is high: Hide me, O my Saviour, hide, Till the storm of life is past; Safe into the haven guide; O receive my soul at last! 2 Other refuge have I none, Hangs my helpless soul on Thee; Leave, ah! leave me not alone, Still support and comfort me: All my trust on Thee is stayed; All my help from Thee I bring; Cover my defenceless head With the shadow of Thy wing. 3 Thou, O Christ, art all I want; More than all in Thee I find; Raise the fallen, cheer the faint, Heal the sick, and lead the blind. Just and holy is Thy name, I am all unrighteousness; False and full of sin I am, Thou art full of truth and grace. 4  P lenteous grace with Thee is found; Grace to cover all my sin; Let the h

Jesus Loves Me (19)

                                                                            SONG STUDY 19 JESUS LOVES ME                                                                                               Anna B. Warner            1.           Jesus loves me! This I know,            For the Bible tells me so;           Little ones to Him belong,           They are weak but He is strong.             Chorus           Yes, Jesus loves me!           Yes, Jesus loves me!           Yes, Jesus loves me!           The Bible tells me so.             2.           Jesus loves me! He who died,           Heaven’s gate to open wide;           He will wash away my sin,           Let His little child come in.             3.           Jesus loves me! He will stay           Close beside me all the way           Then His little child will take           Up to heaven, for His dear sake.   Questions. “Jesus Loves Me”. Is there a Bible verse that actually says this? See 1 John 3:16, Romans  8:37 -39, John 13:1 a

Song Study 12: Meekness and Majesty

Song Study (12) MEEKNESS AND MAJESTY This is a modern hymn by Graham Kendrick (UK), written in 1986. Like the earlier hymns we have examined, it is based on Scripture and contains some difficult words. The message of the song is “ When God became man in the form of Jesus he came as a servant. This is what he expects of us too. ” Rather than a series of questions, let’s look at a series of “key Scriptures” to help us understand what this means and how we are to respond to God’s grace.  Meekness and Majesty:  Meekness And Majesty - Graham Kendrick Lyric Video - YouTube                                Meekness and majesty, Manhood and Deity, In perfect harmony, The Man who is God. Lord of eternity Dwells in humanity, Kneels in humility And washes our feet.      O what a mystery, Meekness and majesty. Bow down and worship For this is your God, This is your God. Father’s pure radiance, Perfect in innocence, Yet learns obedience To death on a cross. Su